2016 is that moment in your life when your mom says “It’s just a phase.” and thank god it was. From Harambe to the dance sensation “Juju on That Beat,” these are the top ten things that need to stay in 2016.
1.“JuJu on That Beat” by Zayion McCall and Zay Hilfigerrr is one of the first things that needs to go. “Juju on That Beat” is not only a song but a dance. If only done a couple times the dance might have been okay, however, it was done millions of times. Not to mention, the song was very repetitive.
- The Mannequin Challenge is a trend in which people stand still and play the song “Black Beatles” by Rae Sremmurd featuring Gucci Mane and others would walk around and record it. It didn’t take long to go viral nor did it take long to get obnoxious. Once your aunts and uncles do it at Thanksgiving, it’s no longer cool.
- Bottle Flipping, it’s one of the most annoying things to ever go viral. You basically flip a bottle to make it stand up. People posted an enormous amount of videos of them bottle flipping and then dabbing afterward. There is no point to it, and yet, it became one of the biggest trends of 2016.
- Dabbing, a sort of dance like move that swept over social media in 2016. “Panda” by Desiigner started the trend early in the summer months. Both the song and dance move swept over 2016 and completely consumed everyone.
- Running Man Challenge, another dance sensation that swept over 2016. You basically jog in place to the song “My Boo” by Ghost Town DJ. People would record videos of others doing the challenge in different ways. People ruined the song by overdoing it.
- The gorilla from the Cincinnati Zoo, known as Harmabe. Some took this gorilla’s death to a whole new level, people built shrines, wore gorilla suits. Harambe was treated as treated as a meme deity as a result of internet absurdity. Maybe in 2017 we should stop praying to his holiness.
- The 100 Layers Challenge, it was started with nail polish and spiraled out of control. It went to wax, lipstick, and so much more. This challenge took over YouTube and that was the only thing on the home page. Youtubers ratings were at an all-time high.
- Pokemon Go. As soon as it was released, it was one of the biggest games of summer 2016. The idea of it was to literally travel across the land to find these little, animated creatures known as Pokemon. You would collect them, then grow, then battle. It was unnecessary how serious people took this game.
9. Extreme Highlighting. If you aren’t familiar with highlight, it’s the sparkly stuff that goes on people’s cheek bones. Ladies and Gentleman, please stop blinding everyone with your excessive amounts of highlight. It’s not pleasant or cute.